Translate

Sunday 31 July 2016

Flipped to a new life

During a one day course where I learnt about making lampshades, I also heard about other skill, transferring pictures on wood (as you do when you mix with other people). I became curious so the next step was to learn more and simply try...

As visible in the picture above, I picked a piece of wood (wooden mixing spoon) that was no longer in use and outlined its shape on a picture of my choice. Now, you need to understand that as simple as it sounds, there are few points to remember. Make sure the picture is flipped otherwise your transfer will be flipped (and I am sure you don't want that). Also, have your picture printed on laser printer (not inkjet) and on the thinnest paper possible.

After cutting out desired scene I used Gel Medium and pasted it on the wooden spoon avoiding any air bubbles.

To be honest, I was not sure this would work since I used something else than advertised but hey, why not try...

...and now I am jumping ahead a little. What you are meant to do next is, after letting it dry overnight or so, get a wet cloth and place it on the paper, let it soak slightly and slowly rub the white paper off. Basictly, wetness helps 'dissolve' the white paper revealing the image underneath, correctly flipped.

This picture does not show the completed piece yet, it still needs more rubbing off and once you are satisfied, it should be sealed with Mod Podge (apparently, but I used simple 3:1 ratio of PVA glue:water which is as effective and much cheaper). But do your own research on this one, there is a lot of information around on both wood transfers and Mod Podge vs PVA glue. I simplified here. I mainly wanted to share my insight into something with quite a potential.

This exercise opens up new horizons so depending on how handled there is a potential. 

K-)

Update: Saturday, 28 August 2016
Flipped to a new life
Talking of a potential, I photographed my wooden mixing spoon, completed and sealed, for you to see attached to a kitchen wall (I have to keep to its original theme) and entering a new role as a decorative piece.

Here, I turned towards recycling, kind of metamorphosis. But I believe, more could be achieved. As said earlier, depending on how handled...


K-)

No comments: