Translate

Friday 10 June 2011

Web Top



What do you think the image above stands for? Yes, it is crochet. This one however, represents yet another follow-up from 'What lies beneath' post. This time, I have taken and analyzed its last two images.

What is highlighted  here is the pillar itself; its decoration and its vertical line stretching from top to bottom.


Starting with this vertical 'line', my thoughts are directly taken to 'division' between left & right. At the same time, this is also about a 'joint' between left & right. Additionally,  note the blue tone of the post...

...I have a clever book on crochet patterns and this one (at least to me) represents the decoration on the lamp post. Therefore, I am hoping to use it here.








Now, just look at the spider web stretching along one side of the post. What a beauty. Even though the web is not symmetrical its detail definitely stands for perfection. Perfection in asymmetry.




Starting with crochet, I can experiment with a pattern. What you can see in the image on the right are samples of 'perfection' & 'asymmetry' sitting on a net/web.








Last but not least is this image of stonework of the bridge. One thing I cannot but notice is this curve created in the stonework. As if this was a half of ever so often celebrated female figure.

And my thoughts are forming in my head - 'line', 'joint', 'asymmetry', 'curve'... Yet again, this project is growing but coming back together. Since I am working on a Fold Dress and a Belt-strap Handbag I might as well crochet a top/cardigan to wear with the dress.





What a joy to be so busy with such enjoyable projects. Do not forget to keep checking their progress. I will keep you posted. As ever...



Update: Saturday, 18 June 2011

Web Top



A week on and this is how far I got so far with my Web Top.

After initial stages, I started to think about turning the meaning of a lamp post with a spider web attached to it around. Meaning to see a lamp post attached to a spider web. With that in mind I have crocheted my base - a sort of a spider web (as you can see in the image above). Now I will take the idea of a lamp post and returning to the analogy of a line/division/joint will complete the Web Top.


And this is just a taster of what the top looks like on a human body right now;
a connection to a 'curve' & a 'female figure' from the Web Top post.

The next stage is to keep to the blueish colour of the lamp post and use the crochet pattern shown in the Web Top post to 'divide', 'join' and also decorate the design.







Update: Friday, 24 June 2011

Web Top



Another week has gone and my Web Top reaches its finale.

To start with, let me introduce to you my friend Elena who has been selected to be my model. I made her as a base for a face jewellery piece some time ago. However, she has been promoted since then and has become a valuable member of my presentation team. Therefore, let me give you Elena wearing ever so light Web Top.


Do you remember this image? It is the one of a spider web attached to the lamp post and the decoration of the lamp post itself. Both of these observations played an important role in the making of the 'Web Top'.

This is my interpretation made with the means of crochet. The line stretching from top to bottom, the division from left to right, the attachment...

...the perfection of the spider web, the asymmetry given by one side being wider than the other, the lightness.



The Web Top's lightness has come as a welcome element to join my design process. What is more, as I was making/shaping the top, I noticed the kind of potential that lies in the choice of wool & pattern. They both respond to the idea of a spider web. The Web Top is not only light, it is also strong and benefits from a certain warmth given by the material.






I cannot stop but being pleased with the outcome of this project. Not only have I had the chance to crochet a top that will be a useful addition to my wardrobe, but also was I able to turn the meaning around and attach what is meant to be solid to something that is so delicate. I see this as quite a challenging juxtaposition discovered during the design process. It was fun.

No comments: