Translate

Sunday 5 June 2011

Belt-strap Handbag


In my last post ('Fold Dress') I left you with a promise to turn my attention to the pockets left from my old cut-up jeans. Now is the time to show you my design idea related to other images from 'What lies beneath (and above)' post.

Seeing this image, all I could see were the belt-straps from my jeans that you can see in the image above. The blue colour on top of this image also fits since I am using blue denim here.

At the same time, this decoration on the side of the bridge made me ask myself what I would have hanging on my side, from my shoulder respectively.
And these thoughts gave the birth to a Belt-strap Handbag idea. I have four pockets and a waist&straps from the jeans. Since pockets are meant to keep things in, a handbag does the same thing (hopefully in an organised way).
The waist&straps piece serves more as a decoration, like the decoration on the side of the bridge. Or shall I use it to carry the bag around...?

Everything seems to come back together and answers the design process.

Similarly to my Fold Dress, this design is also on a stand-by since I still have to organise a sewing machine. So bear with me and keep checking these posts. See you soon.





Update: Sunday, 26 June 2011

Belt-strap Handbag


Finally, I have finished my 'Belt-strap Handbag'. It took me 'only' one and a half day. I know that for those who know how to use the sewing machine, one and a half day seems like eternity. However, I am actually impressed with myself. I managed it all by myself AND without supervision.


As seen in a previous post regarding the design of this handbag, I already had a pinned mock-up giving quite a good idea of the outcome. What was missing was the handbag's lining. The one I have made also has an inside divider/pocket. This part, I am not going to bother you with. Apart from unpicking it once, it was relatively easy.

What I want you to turn your attention to are certain details. For instance, the name  'KPDECO' inscribed on the waist-turn-handle of my handbag. This aims towards branding that I am using as a part of this blog and also serves as my signature.



If you have a proper look at the introductory image, you will spot that I used a former belt as a shoulder strap. I removed the buckle and was left with the question how to attach it to the handbag. For this, I twisted a strip of denim and pushed it through already created holes to hold the belt in place.

As a result, I ended up with a button. As much as it has its function it also serves as a decoration similar to the decoration on the bridge that was an inspiration for this design at the first place. Lovely touch.




What is great about this design is how many pockets this handbag has. Apart from the pocket in the lining, I actually did not have to create more pockets given by the source - four pockets from cut-up jeans. This is the beauty of designing. Take what is given and use it. This particular one is like a puzzle. It is all in there. You just have to re-arrange it.



No comments: