Translate

Sunday 3 May 2015

Wire vs Yarn

Last week, my post was about one memorable day I spent on a Crochet Jewellery course run by Teri Howes at Cockpit Arts Studios some six month ago.

Coming home after such an inspiring day I could not stop but replay the experience in my mind until the point that I had to sit down and make one more necklace, or shall I say a choker/bracelet, in order to see if I remember the technique and most of all to practice.

Allowing it to carry me further, I decided to use the technique to make a pair of earrings...

Since I already made a couple of earrings for my 'Sized-down' project (when I used yarn) I wanted to explore how suitable a wire is. The outcome (on the left) was rather surprising in the sense that it looks very home made when investigated but at the same time, I got away with it looking crude but professional when wearing it.

When compared to the earrings from the 'Sized-down' project, I remember I could not afford any mistake. A mistake in a form of a too loose or tight stitch of a missed or a messed up pattern. With yarn, any mistake would hit the eye as having something seriously wrong there.

On the other hand, using yarn, the pair looks nice and neat, not crude like when a wire is used. Hmmm, a food for thought...


So, I admit, I do not know. I did enjoy both techniques, working with two such different types of material. However, what I became more than aware of is the variety of potentials the two offer. And this is priceless, at least to me.

And what is even better, at the end of it all, I have the original long wire and bead necklace (from my previous post), a choker/bracelet and a pair of earrings (that I just love wearing) into the set. Plus and most of all, I have learnt a technique with beads which is something I plan to explore further...

As for the question of Wire vs Yarn, I would say that there is a material for everybody/everything and there is no need to dismiss any possibility. Why avoid the challenge? The outcome can be surprising... ;-)

I wish you a great week and see you next time. K-)

No comments: