Translate

Sunday 10 May 2015

New Possibilities, New Challenges

One thing I actually like about moving is all the creative challenges and/or possibilities it offers. Do you remember my 'Mussel Runner' project where I made a crochet runner that was meant to withstand heat from hot pots? For this, I was after a dense crochet pattern. To make sure, I also added mussel shells that had additional purpose - to decorate.

This project ran in conjunction with then my current move to a bright flat on a third floor. Now, a few years later, I have moved again. This time to a basement. I admit, this is quite a jump but if you saw the flat, it has a certain quirkiness that I simply could not resist. A new flat, new possibilities, more challenges. Not everything that worked in the previous place works here and that makes the brain busy...

To cut the story short, my runner now decorates a small side table and, what is a shame, it does not work as a heat resistant table necessity anymore. "And what is wrong with the main table?", you ask. The runner does not seem to fit there and seems to be in a way. It simply does not work. Plus, over the years I was given various trivets so there is no need for such runner anymore. At least, this is where my obsession with multi-functionality kicks in. The Mussel Runner now serves its decorative purpose on another table.

What I am more concerned about right now is the surface of the main new table. I realise that when I put a plate with my lunch/dinner on it, the plate is quite hot. And here we are again. Heat and a nice shiny surface to protect...

For a while now, I am playing with the idea of using the same pattern as for the Mussel Runner to make a set of placemats. However, I realise that such density is not needed for this...


I see a project coming up. How exiting. I think I might leave it here for now and see you next time. Have a great time and see you with my next post. K-)

No comments: