Translate

Sunday 13 May 2012

Metamorphosis: Jeans to Jacket

In my previous post, 'Every time I visit the V&A... - part 2', I mentioned the trouble charity shops have to face at this economic climate. Since people keep to their clothes more than before charity shops do not receive such generous donations as they were used to. And this made me think of a project where I would use my older pair of jeans that had slowly started to deteriorate; holes at my knees I just could not mend anymore. As you can see at the image above, the jeans still looked reasonably alright and so before they would fall apart, I decided to apply metamorphosis and give them a new life...

First of all, I unpicked them half way down the thighs creating a gap wide enough to fit my shoulders.

Having been a good start, this made me look as if I was on a lead since the waist gave an impression of a collar. And so I went on exploring further.

I realised that to create shoulders I had to tuck some of the denim under/inside. And this is what you can see closer at the image on the left. As if creating a double collar...

There is still a lot of work to be done with this section but at least I have a shape and an idea...



What is at this image is my return to crochet. The intention is to create a body and attach it to the upper part, the old jeans.

Here I seem to be back on track with my creating. Yet again, I reached for my book on crochet stitches and after downsizing to five possibilities, I chose this one. I wanted something that would embrace the body and make the female feature more visible. Having seen a picture of this stitch, my visualisation helped me decide.

And finally, here is my visualisation completed. As you can see, there is still a lot to cover; more on the crochet part, figuring out the upper part and then joining the two.

I also have to think of the practicality. There are two completely different materials here - denim and wool. How would I wash it when denim needs a proper wash when wool is more for a gentle wash or even handwash?


This is a dilemma that needs to be addressed together with another 'hundred' ones. Hmm, what started as a quick idea is slowly turning into a great puzzle waiting to be untangled. So I will see you next time with the progress on my 'Updates' page. Have a great week. Kx


Update: Saturday, 23 June 2012
Metamorphosis: Jeans to Jacket
Have you thought that I have forgotten about this page? No, no. Of course not. I have just been slightly distracted recently by other tasks and as a result have slowed down with my production, not having enough to update you with regarding 'Metamorphosis: Jeans to Jacket'. Having said that, the image above reveals a certain progress.

The body part has been addressed with one piece of crocheted material. Female features are shaped by extending the pattern as seen here.The crochet stitch creates vertical line, known for its slimming property, that shapes well around the body but I am sure there will need to be some adjustments made once I have progressed further...
You might have noticed that I have cut the trouser legs/sleeves. As a result, I have extra material that I used here to level the back. This leaves me with the most challenging part, the collar.
Since I have tucked some of the material inside, a double collar has been created. Now, the challenge is how to cover it, enhance it, develop it further. For this, I will definitely reach for one of my books...
And so, here we are. Hopefully, see you soon with the next update. Kx


No comments: