Translate

Saturday 3 December 2011

Visit to Tate Modern



Last week I met two of my friends from Richmond Adult Community College where we studied Foundation to Art & Design. After completing the course, we all went our own way as you do and this is why it was extra special to meet up after some seven years or so. And what a better place to get together in style than the Tate Modern and visit 'Panorama', Gerhard Richter exhibition.

I do not have words to describe this exhibition apart from stating that it was absolutely fantastic. Such was my experience that I took a number of pictures inspired by the show on my way home and used Photoshop to tweak them in a Richter style.

In his early years, Gerhard Richter used photographs as a base for his paintings. What is worth studying are the brushstrokes. With the help of Photoshop I tried to copy such style and my interpretation is what you can see in this pair of 'before&after'. It is a far cry from Richter's skill but produces an interesting outcome.

Later on in his career, he also used squeegee to produce large canvases filled with layers of colour that would be peeled off at places to reveal the surface underneath.

I used Photoshop to see what I can create and this is my interpretation. Again, this does not do much justice to Richter's art but certainly is an interesting excersice for me.

Sitting at a café at the Tate, I could not stop myself from looking towards the balcony and beyond. Twice I left the girls to take photographs. The introductory image shows Millennium Bridge leading towards St. Paul's Cathedral. However, I took a few more. The scenery in a sunny wintery light was simply irresistible.




What a day that was. I got to meet my friends, one of whom I have not seen for years, and visited exhibition of such a high standard. I certainly enjoyed my day. Kx


No comments: