Translate

Sunday 3 November 2013

The importance of a successful layout

For some time now, I have been observing the layout various shops display. How come that some shops have better success of catching my attention than others? Yes indeed, as you can see, my post today is about back-of-the-house, about the hidden power behind.…

Have you ever thought why there is fruit & vegetables located at the beginning of a grocery shop when toiletries can be found at the end/back? A grocery store, however, is not what made me think about a successful layout. It is one specific clothes shop where I always find something interesting and in many cases actually buy the item.

Nowadays, I actually go straight past this store (so that I do now spend so much) but last week, I decided to pay the shop a visit. And as usual, something caught my eye. Feeling strong, I resisted bearing in mind that a few days later I will be in a different location that also have a store of the same brand. By that stage, I had decided to purchase the item and so sat up to find the garment…

…Honestly, if I was not on a mission to find this dress, I would have left after setting two steps into the shop. Even though this store is also large (same as the first one), I felt that I did not want to spent any time there; so many people and too much produce that would inevitably lead to overcrowding and mess anywhere. Exactly what I experienced there…

I just braced myself, walked three time in circles till I finally located my item and rapidly hurried to a rather slow till (which is what happens very often when I approach the till - my special). As soon as I paid, I ran out and away, away, away… (I have decided to share an image of the dress so judge for yourselves if this experience was worth it.)


And so, what is it about the first shop that always makes me spend money and what is it about the other one of the same brand or many other shops that make me leave after two or three steps in?

The only difference I have observed in my experience last week is the fact that less is more. Sizewise, both stores are similar. However, the first shop seems to have more space given by the distribution of hanging rails, there are no tables to display further items and so the shop ends up more tidy and more spacious. This makes it easier to discover and consequently purchase an item.

I have been thinking about the trick of a successful display ever since. Can you see the importance? Or is there any importance? What works for you? Are you like me preferring a space to see everything at once without endlessly browsing throughout or do you prefer the buss of a busy place? Do share your experience if you like. I am curious. K-)

No comments: