Translate

Sunday 29 September 2013

Rust - why not?

Since I have been contributing to G+, I have looked at things around me with even more inquisitive eyes than before. I have been asking myself - why not? Why not see a beauty in what we usually perceive as ordinary or indeed ugly?

I do not know how many times I went past this lid to a drain that is in my parents garden. Such an ordinary thing, one that goes well and so easily unnoticed.

However, when one forgets the already known and starts to see the colours, their tones and the texture or the shape itself, the already known ordinary item becomes a brand new object worth observation.


Suddenly, I actually look for rust or any ageing visible on objects. I see this as being more interesting and exciting. Out of the blue, even this rusty screw on the edge of an ageing bench becomes attractive.

The old screw reveals its old age, it weathers in all conditions and proudly stands as a timeless beauty. The old screw becomes centre of attention, ready to share its tones and shape in a spotlight.

The red that comes out in a rusty process adds character to its bearer. It brightens up a theme lifting it from a pretty scene to quite an
eye-catcher.

Whether the centre of attention or accompanying a scene, there is something we can learn from something as mundane as rust. All it takes to cheer up a scene is one stronger tone; which is something quite essential in, for example, fashion.

What an unlikely process to take inspiration from. This is nature from a different angle than I usually look at. Buy why not? It does not always have to be a plant, rock or a bug. It can be a process. What is more, it creates great compositions to photograph. And that is what I love. I just cannot help it.

Have a great week and see you next time. K-)

No comments: