Translate

Sunday 10 March 2013

IWD - International Women's Day (8th March)

I know that it is 'Mother's day' today but I want to return to two days earlier, to the 8th March. On this date the International Women's Day was eventually agreed. Ever since I was a child I was aware or this day. We would create little gifts at school to bring home to our mums and even though I do not remember much fuss made (at least not in my immediate surroundings) I knew of its existence.

However, it was not till years later that I would look deeper into the meaning of this day. And what an eye-opener that was. Now, in the 21 century, we do not realise the effort and constant fight women had to undergo over the past century to get us where we are now (and the fight still continues...). The right to vote, to study, to work alongside men (even though the pay might still not be the same), to be heard and taken seriously in abuse cases,... All of this my generation grew up with so I cannot even imagine the obstacles that women had to face. Therefore it is important to be reminded of the achievements women on all continents made.

With this post, I wanted to remind both women and men of the meaning of the 8th March. This date has its importance in human history, one that should be remembered and respected.

During my research I came across this website that describes the history of IWD so well. I did not want to copy somebody else's article but wanted to share it with you nonetheless. Just click on the link, it is worth reading... Kx

No comments: