Translate

Sunday 3 February 2013

Rain Room

I have read some rather approving reviews in relation to the 'Rain Room', an installation at the Barbican by Random International, that will run till 3 March. And since I am curious at times, I decided to pay the Barbican a visit and see it for myself...

For those of you who are not familiar with this installation, the short version is that you walk through a space of torrential rain. However, you do not need a raincoat or an umbrella because it rains everywhere but on you. And this is what I simply had to experience.

As seen here, it is a curtain (literally) made out of water; such strings of water pouring down and hitting the ground.


You can just imagine the sound. As one approaches this space, from darkness with a glare of light shining from a bend at the distance, the sound of falling water (or simply waterfall) tickles your hearing senses. This is the introduction to a promising experience...

I called it 'a curtain' and think that I am not far from the truth. Just look at this image. The clever placement of only one but strong bulb at the far end (surrounded by complete darkness) adds to the entire atmosphere and enhances the analogy of a 'curtain' (at least to me). It beautifully helps visually describe the feel of this space.

It is hard to see anybody through such 'a curtain'. All this being down to simplicity, understanding and rules of 'light' & 'darkness'...

What I learnt fairly quickly was how to approach this space. At times a drop or two would actually hit me and my reaction would be to briskly move away only to be attacked by few more rather large drops. Then I remembered this lady I watched earlier, graciously moving around this space...

'Slowly' would be the answer. And yes, that worked (or the sensors were worn out after four month of constant use hence releasing some water - who knows). Either way, one has to say that moving slowly with grace added even more to the whole experience and understanding of this space.

No wonder that Wayne McGregor (choreographer) and Max Richter (composer) in collaboration with Random International created a dance piece. Unfortunately, I was not lucky enough to see this performance but can imagine its originality and uniqueness.

...and this was my experience of being 'inside'. First, looking up and then, looking down.

As I walked, a path appeared above me and followed me whichever direction I would take...

Looking down, the drops would bounce back. Like hail...

Such was the intensity of any drop hitting the ground.

Random International explores human interaction with our immediate surroundings, the one that we take for granted and easily overlook. In 'Rain Room' they took something as typical for the UK as rain and made it into a positive experience that everybody I saw enjoyed. I wonder if their perception of rain itself has changed in any way. Personally, I have always liked rain and so this visit to the Barbican was a must. K-)

No comments: