Translate

Sunday 10 February 2013

Emotions - Rough vs Smooth

Taking this picture the other day, all of a sudden I had a certain mixture of feelings leading to a mixture of emotions. One rusty pole hardly visible through the bush (literally impossible to see during the summer months) opened up another opportunity for thoughts. In my 'Emotions - Softness and Pain' post last month I explored a thorn, a sharp pointy parasite that lives together with and at the same time protects the beauty of a rose.

Even here, I focused on the sharp edges of the paint that is slowly peeling off the pole revealing rough rusty surface underneath.

At this point I can truly feel my skin being scratched when in contact with surface like this. Let my imagination run wild and I can actually feel the sharp edges getting under my skin... Ouch!



On the other hand, when I focus on the surface of the scraped-off bits, it is in a funny way somehow smooth and even, I dare to say even inviting to be felt and played with with my fingertips.

And this is why my emotions are mixed here. On the one hand, I know that I would hurt myself and so am cautious. On the other hand, I actually want to peel off the bits that are sticking out. I want to feel their smoothly rough surface. I want to hear the cracking sound when squeezed that I can only imagine for now.

This object in itself is actually quite an interesting subject to analyse when it comes to it. Especially when corrosion took its toll and as a result the dated paint introduces new life to it. It adds a story to it. Suddenly, there is a timeline that makes you wonder for how long it has been like this and how much longer it can remain in this state before being repaired, if ever being repaired...

Additionally, it works well as a photograph. For me it is the colours; the hint of red being surrounded by the natural or rather boring 'decor'. Yes, there is something special in everything we see everywhere we look. We just have to open our eyes... K-)

No comments: