Translate

Saturday 24 March 2012

Tangled

Yes, I have finally managed to visit Tate Britain and see the 'Picasso & Modern British Art' exhibition on show until 15 July 2012. My plan for last week, yet again, did not happen so I am rather proud that I have done it one week later. Despite the fact that there was a lot to read (each image and each room had an explanation), there was also a lot to see (as you might imagine - it is Pablo Picasso after all).

Duncan Grant, Wyndham Lewis, Ben Nicholson, Henry Moore, Francis Bacon, Graham Sutherland and David Hockney are the listed British artists whose work have been influenced one way or another by Pablo Picasso. Each of these seven artists have their work on display alongside Picasso's work and I must say, one can see very clearly the connections and from where the artists drew.

As I looked and read and was soaking as much as possible I finally approached 'Guernica' (its B&W reproduction to be precise) displayed together with a few preparation studies for the iconic painting.

I have seen this image in books and magazines before but nothing could have prepared me for the emotion that shot through my body when I saw such a big image (even though it was only a B&W reproduction). The twisted human and animal bodies, the despair in their faces, the suffering; I could almost hear their cries. No wonder 'Guernica' is recognised throughout the world.

When leaving the Tate and still full of emotions, I sat down by its side for a bit of a rest realising that it is the time of a year when the trees are cut down and getting ready for further re-growth. And so I took a few pictures. One of these is above. What is great is that you can see the structure. What I can also see here are the twisted branches as if in pain and this is the Guernica influence on me. Yet, all is so neat, even beautiful; especially during sunset, wouldn't you say? Kx

No comments: