Translate

Sunday 12 February 2012

Leafy-fall

Do you remember this image I shared with you last autumn? This was around the time I also tried to reach for my pen and sketchbook rather than the camera to record what I see. And indeed, I found some time to stand in front of this magnificent tree and gave it a try. I must admit, this returning experience was worse than I thought. Which is why I concentrated more on the flow of the foliage rather than precision.


Can you see the clusters of different colours running down the tree? So rich. What a visual experience, wouldn't you say?

This is exactly on what I want to concentrate here. I have mentioned it before in the 'Leafy waterfall' post - colours, tiny bits and something as powerful as a waterfall. My understanding of this now is of something small that, when put together, can become visually so powerful.





Over the years, I have collected quite an amount of art and design magazines that I have not disposed of yet. Whenever I move they come with me (to the disapproval of those who are helping out - the magazines are quite heavy). Therefore, I am pleased to say that I plan to finally use them as my material for this project.

What a fitting choice. Trees are also used for making paper and magazines are paper. The follow up question is 'What is a great technique to engage with paper?' Origami, of course. And that is what you are looking at here. My small origami leaves.

So far, this is a small experiment but I must admit the folding experience exercises my fingers well. There are two points to focus on now. First, to make a variety of colourful leaves and two, to work out how to join them keeping to the inspiration images from above.

How great. I have a new project to focus on. I hope to see you soon with the progress on my 'Updates' page. In the meantime, have a great Sunday and enjoy next week. Kx


Update: Sunday, 19 February 2012

Leafy-fall

To keep you up to date with my 'Leafy-fall' project, I have spent the whole of past week doing origami; folding, cutting and glueing to acquire a bigger amount of leaves in a variety of colours. And the more I am into this project the more small leaves I actually need.

I have not told you how I came up with the shape of my tiny leaves.

When I attempted to sketch the inspirational tree, I also tried to capture the shape of its leaves. Later, after a quick research, this leaf appeared to be spot on. And so I am folding, cutting and glueing ever since.




At the beginning, I wanted to focus only on the colours of the foliage but this limits me a little and so, nowadays, I pick a page from a magazine that is covered with a big image and then spend time doing origami.

The image on top gives you some idea of the amount and colour variety. And I need more... So see you next time with the progress on my 'Updates' page. Kx


Update: Sunday, 4 March 2012
Leafy-fall
After another two weeks into my 'Leafy-fall' project, all I can say that I need more and more and more small leaves. I was hoping to demonstrate more than an image of some sort of mapping and three boxes of light, dark and mixed leaves that are just about visible.

At the bottom-right-hand corner at the image above you can see what serves as my method for joining. Yes, it is crochet again. A crocheted chain to be precise. And this is what you can see on the left, hidden by the foliage that is.

Here I have attached colourful leaves to just one chain. If you remember the inspiration image of the colourful foliage, you might recall the richness of volume and colour.

Bearing this in mind, I certainly need more leaves. And so see you next time on my  'Updates' page with the progress. Kx




Update: Sunday, 25 March 2012
Leafy-fall
I was hoping to demonstrate more of the status of my 'Leafy-fall' project than a close-up of these three piles of leaves. Three weeks after seeing you last and all I can say is that yet again I need more and more and more small leaves. This project is more time consuming than I originally thought.

What you can see at this picture are three chains of leaves I have already attached. The problem I am having here is the way of joining.

At the moment the leaves are attached at a 90 degree angle whereas I need them to appear as if falling down and still attached to the branch. For this though I need more leaves to experiment with.

And so I will continue to grow my leaves collection before I show you more. Just bear with me. I will keep you posted as usual. Kx




Update: Sunday, 22 April 2012
Leafy-fall

One month on and this is what my 'Leafy-fall' project looks like now. I mentioned that I needed more leaves and that is what I have been doing since my last update. It seriously takes time to cut through one page and fold and glue it back into small leaves. The image above does not look much, you might even think that I am not doing much. Which is why I decided to divide this pile into smaller sections by colours; their tones respectively. 

And now, I feel that I have actually done something. At the moment I have light & dark tones, brown, green, blue, red and a little pile of mixed colours that could be on a border line with red.

Seeing this injects more energy into this project. It is slowly (very slowly) starting to take better shape, giving the 'Leafy-fall' a certain focus. 



And so, again, I will continue to grow my leaves collection before I reveal more. Therefore, bear with me for a bit longer. I will keep you posted as usual. Kx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait for this new project to begin!AP

Katerina Praskova said...

That makes the two of us (though I have started a bit). ;-)
Will see you on my 'Updates' page with the progress and - also cannot wait. Kx