Translate

Friday 30 September 2016

The One and Only



A few weeks ago in 'Flipped to a new life' post, I shared with you my experience of transferring an image onto a wooden mixing spoon. In few words there I also mentioned that I found out about this particular skill during a completely different course simply by participating in a conversation with other like-minded people. And something similar happened on another course I took this time with Teri Howes. You might remember I mentioned her in my 'When is the e-mail address worth leaving behind?' post.

Which brings me to the image above. Earlier this year, I received this eye-catching pendant, a coral laid in silver. I must admit that for quite a while I wondered what chain I should get to compliment the piece. My usual answer would be a leather string but somehow I did not think that would justify the red in silver pendant. Putting two and two together and an idea was born...

Have you heard about 'Viking Weave'? Well, I had not till one particular course I took with Teri Howes. During a conversation this name popped up in the open. And since then, I could not stop thinking about it...

After a quick research it became obvious that it is not that difficult. It is rather repetitive but the result looks very professional. So I sat off on making my own chain...

What you see here is the chain in progress. I used one of my crochet hooks as a base and a silver wire I kept after completing one of the courses. One point to make, you are meant to keep the loose ends inside but I thought, what would happen if I kept them on the outside?

To this I will get later...

Let me introduce to you a very important tool. The block on the left helps to shape the chain.

You run the above chain through the holes till you get to the required thickness. And that is what you see on the right.

And now is the right time to reveal what happened to the loose ends from earlier. Feeling it would be a waste if cut off I attached small beads to them and...

To put it all together, I asked my trusted friend Elena (you remember Elena) to pose for a picture...

...so she did.

Spending evening after evening weaving round my hook, I experienced how relaxing it is. And if at the end you end up with something you can wear ouside you know you have done something right there. You feel like the one and only.


K-)


Update: Saturday, 15 October 2016
The One and Only

Talking of the 'one and only', number one got suck in my mind. Therefore, it was just a questionn of time to follow up on the idea and translate it into a matchind pair of earrings. And this is what you are looking at at the picture above. Yes, I have a jewellery set.

K-)

No comments: