Translate

Saturday 22 June 2013

Something to write about...

Indeed, what a delight was my visit to 'The New Craftsmen' in Mayfair today. Located in a garage in 14 Adam's Row, off South Audley Street, this unassuming place reveals quite a gem...

Once one opens the door (and please, do reach for the handle and use it), this rather quirky and absolutely charming place opens up to you.

From metal to ceramics to textiles to wooden pieces and jewellery, from leather to glass designs, one also sees techniques such as weaving or indeed baking seen in home-made doughnuts placed in lovely baskets. There is something for everyone in quite a small but cleverly used space.

What I wanted to show you was this wall showing various tools of trade that certainly stretch well into the past.

That took me back to my childhood, when we would ransack our grandfather's workshop at our cottage. Even my dad would use the tools when needed.

Again, like in many of my previous posts, this was a pleasant journey down my memory lane. What a great installation; and this is only a teaser, only a section...

Looking at all this after years of not seeing such tools, and having been put on display in an artistic manner, I strangely re-discovered new beauty, even new use for them...

There was one more place to visit and that was the shop. An extension to the 'gallery', there was more to see and admire (as seen in these photographs). All this is enclosed within clean tile walls that give rather industrial early 20 century feel to the whole space. What a great association of location and handmade produce...
And how did I hear about this place? From an article I read in 'Crafts' magazine last month that definitely tickled my curious and creative buds. Later on, when visiting the 'Cockpit Arts' open studios, there was a reminder of 'The New Craftsmen' in the work of Catarina Riccabona.

Catarina is showing her linen textile pieces here as well.

In my 'Cockpit Arts - summer open studios' post I mentioned her treatment of colour in the linen throws, cushions, kitchen towels,... and here you can see exactly what I meant.

So natural, so gentle, so beautiful. A touch of colour makes such a difference, wouldn't you say?

I must have mentioned it before, every time I visit a place like this, I feel so inspired. What is more, workshops are organised around the splendid table seen in one of the pictures above. How clever to bring like-minded people together in such space. These are events not to miss.

I highly recommend visiting 'The New Craftsmen' so do not delay. This experience is unique. K-)

No comments: