Translate

Sunday 21 April 2013

Paintography and Wassily Kandinsky

Since I saw you last time regarding paintography, I have been investigating further into this rather powerful tool. I say 'powerful' but most of all it is a fun tool. It is given that one can and have to use it in connection with other photoshop tools and it is at this stage that I find it so rewarding.

Today, I want to share with you a journey of one image. It is a picture of a bush in spring. I go past this bush every day and watch it flourish into quite a beauty. This image was taken a few month ago when the weather did not know whether to turn into spring or remain at winter...

In this image you can actually feel the chill even on a sunny day.



When paintography is applied, colours become more saturated, much bolder. Of course, a certain blur is added loosing the detail that one expects when a photograph is taken at the first place.

This is what I am actually after. Bolder colours, more contrast, less detail, much stronger image...



At this stage I usually stop. However, sometimes going one extra step further makes such a difference. One ends up with even stronger colours and as a result looses any recognisable detail heading towards abstraction.

Now, I remember Wassily Kandinsky and his large oils. Recently, I visited the Centre Pompidou in Paris and reminded myself of his massive works; so strong, abstract and absolutely beautiful...

And so I applied artistic filter to the image to give it a painting-like texture (as visible here or better on the bigger intro image on top).

Years ago, I tried to paint in style of Wassily Kandinsky and must admit, utterly failed. To abstract a figurative scene is not easy. All the 'I can do it too' is a nonsense. There is much more skill and understanding involved.



In 'Painting with Green Centre' it appears exactly what the title says. However, apart from its green centre, I pick up the blocks of strong colours divided by streaks of black or white that add both lightness and at the same time make a base. It grounds it well.

The colour palette is visually pleasing creating harmonious experience.

What an interesting connection of art and a digitally manipulated image. This is when 20th Century meets 21st. Now I can try and explore if a digital approach can take me closer to the genius of Wassily Kandinsky and his alike.

Have a great week, enjoy the sun that is finally here and see you next time. K-)

No comments: