Translate

Saturday 13 April 2013

If the mountain will not come to Muhammad...

This beauty is the oldest found figurative ceramic artefact in the world dating some 29, 000 to 25, 000 BC. It was found, together with other objects, in and around the village of Dolní Věstonice, south of Brno, Czech Republic hence the name 'Věstonická Venuše'.

Of course l Iearnt about her when I was at school and remember how proud I felt to be Czech. Unfortunately, I never managed to see her with my own eyes when living there. This is why I feel more than privileged to finally see her now, some twenty five years later.

The British Museum holds 'Ice Age Art: Arrival of the Modern Mind' exhibition that explores the art of Ice Age. One section is dedicated purely to the female body, to nudes. When some are little ceramic sculptures, very often it was bones that were used as a material to carve and engrave into. To see small pictures of animals, humans and even less figurative ornaments carved into sections of bones, those that reminded me of decor on wooden chests of 'only' a few centuries ago, is impressive. This is when I can make the connection to what we perceive as art or craft. After visiting this exhibition I can fully appreciate the achievements of human mind.

Have you ever thought of any archeological artefact in terms of art? I actually never did. For me, it was more educational and historical mixed with astonishment of what 'they' could do. This exhibition explained certain points to me. For example, Věstonická Venuše or other female figures were often depicted as nudes. Can you imagine how cold it must have felt to pose? Though I can imagine that the 'artist' would work from memory. However, what is so amazing is the precision and detail with which this beauty is sculptured.

This is a body of a female in a later stage of her life, resembling marks of bearing children (probably many of them). I believe that this was desirable at that age, this was what was considered as beauty. That just makes you think about what we consider beautiful nowadays; skinny and toned. No, no. Věstonická Venuše and her alike are the true beauties. One can even recognise the folds under her belly (bearing marks) or the fat sections at the back. Such woman was celebrated. This appreciation resonates with what artists question nowadays. It almost feels that questions of 'polished' and/or 'raw' beauty have been on human minds all the time.

I was hoping to show you more images. Unfortunately, one cannot take photographs at exhibitions and the shop did not have what I was after. Therefore, it is more written than visual post today. Today is about realisation of art in any time, any age. Also, for me the 'mountain came to Muhammad' and that I value. What a highlight of this week. K-)

(Image of Věstonická Venuše has been downloaded from the internet.)

No comments: