Translate

Sunday 28 October 2012

From Pre-Raphaelites to Paintography


Extract from 'Pre-Raphaelites to Paintography' (posted 30.09.2012):

'Somehow, I could not help but think of my own photographs and the treatment they receive after I upload them onto my computer. What is more, everywhere I looked I would make a connection to something called 'Paintography' - a technique I have wanted to try for a while now. After this exhibition I have finally touched on the technique...


 ...to the left is my usual treatment (bringing up the colour and contrast). The left picture of wispy grass has addition of further Photoshop tools that I actually forgot I can use (that happens when there is not much need for them in one's work).


Suddenly, from an attractive picture there is something else, something new. This is a cross between a photograph and a painterly approach to a photograph. I know, I might be applauding myself here a bit. The point is that if it was not for the 'Pre-Raphaelites' exhibition I would still only think about paintography, I would not start on something so interesting, so creative. And so, I am embarking on a new adventure. K-)'

Since this post, I have had more time to investigate further. Not only have I brushed up on Photoshop tools but also got my hands on an extension to Photoshop, the right plug-in for paintography. The picture on top reveals its benefits. In few words, the image is made soft, brushed, more defined.

When I took this picture, picture of a rose bud, I had the treatment of paintography at the back of my mind. I knew that my usual adjustments would not enhance this image enough.

And so, cautiously, I started experimenting (right). As I stated already, the image becomes softer, brushed and more defined. Not to overtake the rose was my aim. I wanted to add not to take away. However, I must say when playing with various paintography features it became clear that there is much more to this tool...

Take this picture. I took this photograph last week in Richmond Park. There was a whole herd and these two stags looked so magnificent in the light...


After a cautious approach, I ended up with this variation (left); softened a little, made painterly and the colours becoming more vivid.


This is when my connection to 'Pre-Raphaelites to Paintography' comes in.


'The Girlhood of Mary Virgin' by Dante Gabriel Rossetti reveals similar treatment. Defined by contrast, bright colours and flat surfaces, just focus on the folds of Mary's dress and the muscle seen on the back leg of the seated deer. Similarly, the deer's antlers in the light stand out so strongly, adding to the painterly aim. The play of light and shadow helps giving it such contrast, I simply cannot but relate digital painting to Pre-Raphaelites.


Taking the same image, I decided to push it further with paintography...

All of a sudden, I was looking at a still from Disney's Bambi. More brushed, more softened, more defined.

The colours become more vivid and again, I made a connection to another of Dante Gabriel Rossetti's oils 'The Beloved' ('The Bride'). However, in my opinion this treatment was taking it too far.

I did not want to go this way. Therefore, I desaturated on both images and ended up here.

My conclusion so far stands here: Up to now I have focused on keeping the images for what they are. I did not want paintography to overtake the image. By doing so, I have seen where else paintography can take you. However, this is an area I still need to investigate. So far this has been quite an exercise enough...

Yes, paintography certainly is a powerful tool and I cannot stress enough that if it was not for my visit to Tate Britain last month I would cheat myself out of this exciting journey. K-)

No comments: