Translate

Saturday 28 April 2012

Orderly Chaos

In my last week post 'Every time I visit the V&A... - part 1', I shared an image of pink, yellow and white walls that were 'flattened' into a 2D composition. This reminded me of patchwork, a style I have always been drawn to but have not explored much yet. That is apart from my 'Orderly Chaos'.

If you remember my 'ZipOut Curtain', a curtain I crocheted as part of my degree project, you might recognise the yarn; the natural light toned one.

Some year and a half later, I re-descovered a ball of what was left over together with a ball of navy yarn I had bought but never used.

And so I decided to return to crocheting combining these two colours. Not having a very clear idea of what I wanted to create I simply started with making rectangles/squares. After playing around with them and placing them next to each other, the only outcome I could think of was of a shoulder bag. And this is what you can see on the shoulder of my trusted model Elena.


Soon after using this shoulder bag, the wear&tear started to appear at the place it would touch my side. This is why I introduced decorative buttons; a few in the front and much more at the back to cover and protect the crocheted pieces.

The direction of the buttons shows where the wool started to wear off. When compared to the defined orderly front, the back looks rather chaotic, as if the buttons were sewn at random giving the shoulder bag a quirky touch.



This project returned me to the world of creativity as if releasing me from some sort of a block. For this I am more than grateful. Yes, I have just shown you the Beginning. Kx

No comments: