Translate

Monday 1 August 2011

Chesil Beach


Since we have a mini heatwave now (as they call it), we paid a visit to Chesil Beach near Weymouth yesterday. Apparently, in 2001 this Jurassic Coast was designated the UK's first natural World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Chesil Beach is a part of a 152 km long coastline laid with pebbles. Unlike a sandy beach, every step one takes is accompanied with quite a deafening noise. Despite that or probably because of that, I enjoyed making myself heard with every step (being a city girl now, I do not have such an opportunity).


As I was (sometimes) descending into the mountain of pebbles, I remembered this image taken years ago on a Brighton beach. I wondered than how come that some of the pebbles are orange. As if standing out in a crowd. And I still wonder. The tonal difference created by nature is worth observing.

I did take some stones from Brighton home as a keepsake. This time, having visited Chesil Beach, I also brought home a couple. They are two white pebbles smoothed down by the sea.




I wonder if there is going to be a project referring to the two white pebbles... Previously, two designs came out of the Brighton pebble. To share this information I will see you in my next post. In the meantime, enjoy the mini heatwave while it lasts. As we know, it never lasts in England. Kx

No comments: