Translate

Saturday 6 August 2011

Brighton Pebble



In my last post 'Chesil Beach' I promised to return to this image (or a section of it to be precise). This orange pebble has been an inspiration for two projects. The Brighton Pebble is one of them.







Since the question of 'Why do some pebbles on a beach colour orange?' has stayed unanswered, its presence has been nagging deeply in my mind ever since. At that time, I once again collected a lot of carrier bags (the same as for 'Hammock Chair'), this time from Sainsbury's. This is why, having been surrounded by orange Sainsbury's carrier bags and having the shape of the pebble locked in my mind, I made a connection for a storage design.

I used the same weave as for the 'Hammock Chair' and after a lot of carrier bags (and a lot of patience) the Brighton Pebble started to take its shape. Since the pebble itself has a round shape, I just weaved round and round...

However, I felt that a perfect ball would not justify the intricacy of nature. Therefore, the design started to take a slightly skewed shape.

As you may have noticed, I tend to look for multiple functions (e.g. Hammock Chair turned into a backpack to be carried around) in my designs. And this element became obvious when creating a lid for the Brighton Pebble design.

My lid becomes a bowl that houses loose balls of wool at the moment. However, one can use it to carry anything one wishes.

Originally, all I wanted was to create storage. This has been achieved well since I store carrier bags inside. However, during the design process I gained extra 'storage' - a bowl.

How great it is to end up with a surprise (in a form of a multiple functionality) by the end of a project. Now the question is: Is this the end? I believe that more can be done to perfect it. Therefore, watch out for a completion of Brighton Pebble on my 'Updates' page.

In the meantime, have a great weekend and see you soon on my 'Updates' and other pages. Kx


No comments: