Translate

Sunday 15 April 2018

Empty café - 'Stools'


Not that long ago I walked through Trafalgar Square and even though it was reasonably busy a café in the middle of the square was completely empty. Having taken a photograph, I left but could not stop thinking about it. The image of the empty café stuck so hard in my mind that I had to incorporate it into my creative existence and a few months later few projects came out of it...

First, I focused on the stools; their shape and colour. I must admit, I followed step-by-step instructions from Teri Howes' sheets to refresh my memory and see the possibilities it could offer.

Of course, later I realised that the hole in the middle was too wide but as a base of what I wanted to try it for it would do...

I also focused on the brickwork on the plinth at the background. Trafalgar Square has four of these, equestrian statue of George IV got into my view.

These two samples on the left were where I started...

Have you heard of a 'French knot'? I came across it when researching something I do not even remember now. French knot comes from embroidery and looks quite easy to make. It also looks rather striking and I hoped I could use it within my work...

...and that was when the yellow/golden disc proved to work quite well.

Quite early into my experiments with wire, I realised that wire on top of a crocheted wire disc will simply not work. It ended up as a tangled wire rather that something decorative.

At this stage, organza ribbon came to a rescue. I have two colours (yellow and grey) I used for my 'Geometry' project you might remember. Since the disc is already yellow, I used the grey one.

I also learnt that the French knot is not as easy at first but once you get the hang of it it is simple...

I am not sure why I used so much ribbon for only three knots. I had this number in my head looking at four stools per table. I took one stool away from the calculation as a symbol for 'empty'. 'Empty' meaning 'without' therefore 'without' (minus) one stool. At the end this worked out quite well since I can nicely place the disc and round the ribbon around my neck. Twice in this case. I also made two mini tubes out of the wire to tuck the two ends of the ribbon into and voila...


I asked my trusted friend Elena to pose again and...


What do you think? Doesn't she look lovely? K-)


Update: Sanday, 20 May 2018
Empty café - Stools  


A colour variation was the next step of 'Empty café - Stools' project. That is what you are looking at above.  It is up to you to pick your preference...



...and, of course, an offshoot that came out of it too ending on a choker necklace instead of a ribbon.


K-)

No comments: