Translate

Saturday 3 March 2018

Geometry

This picture was taken a few month ago from one of the higher floors of the new extension to the Tate Modern. And I remember thinking - "There is something there." In other words, I could see a potential there, an influence for my next project.

And since I had been working on a 'Choker' project previously, I decided to continue with the same theme.

Getting my head around it, I experimented with yarn first before reaching for a wire. The colour was given by the picture so the next step was to get the structure...

In this picture you can see that I begun with the size of the rectangles (windows) being divided by a red line. In the experiment on the right, I felt I needed to downsize the rectangles ('windows') but since  I created a sample I needed to complete it.

Twisting the piece, I joined it making sure the red line goes on continuously in a whirling motion and this is what I was left with. A rather sculptural offshoot but very interesting and raw.

Talking about downsizing the rectangles I returned to the original idea and with that in mind another sample emerged. This time however, I realised that it was getting far too wide for a choker.

To cut the story short, I folded it in half and...

..the choker is bolder in colour, bigger in thickness, has rounded up (given by the tension when crocheting) and follows the curve of one's neck beautifully. To join it I used a magnetic clasp and...

Again, what a fun it was creating this geometry inspired project that (I think) leaves open doors to further possibilities...  K-)

No comments: